January 13, 2017
Who wouldn’t want to keep all their natural teeth? Sure, this is a shared goal of patients and of Dr. Rich Gochman and Dr. Teju Bharati of NY Smile Creators. However, if tooth loss occurs, count on their restorative dentistry services, such as traditional and mini-implants in Queens. Both prosthetics offer great smile aesthetics and oral function. Which kind do you need?
Treatment Options for Tooth Loss
The professional staff at NY Smile Creators understands that you can’t always retain all your natural teeth. One or more may be lost to:
- Accident or trauma
- Extensive decay or infection (dental abscess)
- Advanced gum disease (periodontitis)
- Other oral or systemic health problems
In the past, dentists and patients could choose only fixed bridgework or full or partial dentures. While allowing individuals to fill gaps or restore entire smiles, these restorations pose some drawbacks:
- The dentist removes some tooth enamel from the supporting teeth on either side of a partial denture. These grooves accept the metal clasps which anchor the metal and acrylic denture. As a result, supporting teeth are subjected to wear and decay.
- Full dentures are a traditional tooth replacement option. While they restore speaking and chewing and normalize facial features, dentures often slip, impair speech and limit our diets.
- Full-sized Queens dental implants have revolutionized tooth replacement. The titanium screw is placed in the jaw to replace teeth or anchor dentures. It helps bone retain its natural size and density. Patients enjoy full function and great aesthetics with their new teeth. However, traditional implants require lengthy healing times and simply may be too costly for some patients.
Enter, the Mini-Implant
The mini-implant was developed by a Western New York dentist. The device has become more popular because it renders exceptional results at a lower cost and in less time.
The dentist places the mini-implant device via a pilot hole in the jaw. There is no extensive cutting of the gum tissue and no suturing; so the process is more comfortable a full-sized implant. In addition, because of their small size, mini-implants work well with smaller alveolar ridges in the jaw. Bone augmentation procedures become unnecessary.
Mini-implants replace one or more teeth, accepting natural-looking crowns or bridgework. Dentists such Dr. Gochman and Dr. Bharati use mini-implants to stabilize both partial and full dentures.
Patients like mini-implants, citing improved self-confidence and a natural, solid feel when eating. While mini-implants cannot decay as natural teeth do, patients must floss and brush the devices daily to avoid gum disease (peri-implantitis). Semi-annual dental check-ups and cleanings at NY Smile Creators are critical as well.
Mini-implants boast a high success rate of 95 percent. Just like their larger counterparts, they last for decades and are likely the last tooth replacements the patient will need.
Want to Know More?
Contact NY Smile Creators to arrange your consultation on tooth replacement options. They deliver several state of the art dental services that will build and maintain your smile for a lifetime.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.