Preventive Dentistry In Flushing, NY
Full-Service Oral Treatments for You & Your Entire Family
Preventive dentistry refers to dental procedures that aim to maintain the natural state of a tooth as far as the health, aesthetics, and function are concerned. The best part - this type of dentistry can be practiced both at home and in the dentist’s office! NY Smile Creators offers various preventive dentistry services, including dental exams and cleanings, fluoride treatment, oral cancer screenings, and routine x-rays.
Our dentist in Flushing offers the following as part of the preventive dental care package:
- Fluoride treatments
- Dental exam & cleanings
- Dental sealants
- Hygiene practices
Book an appointment or free consultation online today to protect your oral and overall health with our team.
Benefits of Preventive Dentistry
At NY Smile Creators, we encourage our patients to take steps to ensure that their natural teeth serve them for as long as is humanly possible. Taking care of your teeth guarantees their longevity, and ensures that you’ll not need to spend a lot of your money on dental procedures later on. Benefits include:
- Eliminated plaque and tartar, the two main culprits behind decay and gum disease
- Oral cancer screenings
- Protection for the athletically inclined
- Prescriptions for those who grind their teeth in their sleep
- Guidance on proper dental practices and counseling on habits that may impact oral health, e.g., pacifier use and thumb sucking in children
Importance of Fluoride Treatments
Fluoride is a naturally-occurring essential mineral that strengthens enamel, thus protecting your teeth against decay and harmful bacteria. The amounts of fluoride present in the water we drink and the food we eat may not be sufficient to meet your body’s requirements. That’s why fluoride treatments are a crucial part of your dental care. By scheduling frequent fluoride treatments—at least once to four times a year—you can significantly lower your chances of developing cavities and gum disease.
Some people are more susceptible to cavities owing to weak enamel and should be more vigilant when it comes to booking fluoride treatment appointments. If you have a history of tooth decay, tooth sensitivity, have dry mouth, or a poor diet and lifestyle, you should ensure that fluoride treatments are on your dental care routine.
What to Expect During Your Appointment
During your appointment, patients will expect the following:
- Our dentist will carefully examine your oral cavity and check for other dental problems. If you have cavities, for example, the dentist may recommend getting root canal treatment first before embarking on a preventative treatment
- If your teeth are healthy, we'll use a mouthguard or a brush to apply a fluoride gel, varnish, or paste on your teeth enamel. You’ll be required to keep the mouthguard on for a couple of minutes.
- Our dentist will advise you on how long you need to refrain from eating or drinking if you are getting a fluoride treatment. Usually, this will be approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
Why Dental Sealants Are Important
Sometimes good oral hygiene habits are not enough to prevent having problems with tooth decay. Dental sealants give your teeth an extra level of protection against tooth decay. The sealants that our dentists work with to prevent tooth decay are plastic coatings that go onto the tops of premolars and molars to protect them. These teeth are responsible for doing most of the chewing when you’re eating. It's easy for food and sugars to breakdown in there and when too much plaque forms it turns into the bacteria that causes cavities.
Application of Sealants
The process of sealing teeth is quick and easy. We will place a liquid on your back teeth that roughen their surface, so the sealant bonds to them. You will then rinse your mouth to get rid of the excess liquid before they are dried. After, we'll brush the sealant onto the teeth that have occlusions or crevices on their surfaces.
Once the sealant has hardened, you can eat, drink, and get back to your normal routine right away. It may feel like your biting on something for the first few days, but that sensation goes away quickly. You can expect dental sealants to last up to 10 years!
NY Smile Creators offers a warm and friendly environment for dental patients of all ages. Give us a call at (718) 550-3541 today if you’d like to book your preventative dental treatment.
Peace of Mind- Kat I.
An Amazing Place- Elizabeth F.
I Actually Enjoy Going to My Dentist- Ari W.
Always on Time- Deana M.
Painless- T. G.